UNDERTRACK PNEUMATIC DELIVERY FOR CYCLE PATH DEVELOPMENT | BATHGATE RAIL STATION
Over 1800m3 of LECA® Lightweight Aggregate (LWA) was installed for the Whiteside Overbridge for the Aidrie-Bathgate railway line – linking Edinburgh to Glasgow.
The Airdrie-Bathgate Railway Link connects Edinburgh to Glasgow through Bathgate, Drumgelloch and Airdrie.
For this development Network Rail required a fill material for a backfill for both ends of the new cycle path bridge abutments.
The purpose of the cycle path footbridge was to initiate a drive for a sustainable cycle path footpath for the local residents to encourage walking/ cycling in the area and to create access to both sides of the track.
The key benefits included:
• Increased number of services with four trains per hour in each direction between Glasgow and Edinburgh via Airdrie and Bathgate, with connections beyond
• Two new, two relocated and three upgraded stations
• Increased reliability of existing services and shorter travel times
• Increased parking providing improved park-and-ride options
• Reduction of passenger congestion on the current Edinburgh-Glasgow rail shuttle services
• An alternative travel option to using the M8
Amount of material: 1800m3 of LECA ®LWA (10-20mm)
Interesting Fact: Due to the issue of working around a live track – a solution as required which allowed for no track possession or closures.
Main Contractor: BAM Nuttall